Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dad vs. 776 lb tire


There are those that will
and those that won’t
Those that do
and those that don’t

The video I posted is of my 52 year old father flipping a 776 lb tire at my training facility Flex Athletic Performance.  My dad has worked his ass off for many years for a trucking company in which he drove a truck and lifted heavy shit up all day long for more than 30 yrs.  From these experiences day in and day out my dad developed what I like to call "Man Strength."  Man strength differs from strength from lifting weights in that my dad might not be able to bench 300 lbs, but I'm pretty sure he could knock the hell out of most people who do so regularly at places like Golds Gym!  

It was Super Bowl Sunday and my family and friends were watching the game at my house.  We started talking about the kids who were flipping a "450 lb" tire at my facility and about some other people who have tried and failed.  My dad looked at all of us and "Guaranteed" that he could flip the tire!  Said he had delivered those things in the past and could flip it with ease!  We weren't gonna argue with him so we just nodded.  I didn't think he would come close.

Next day my dad came into the gym and told us that he was there to flip the tire.  He told us that he was only gonna do it one time and to "Get the camera ready!"  

Wow... Thats about the worst tire flipping form you are gonna see on a successful flip!  I wouldn't have wanted it to go down any other way though.  The "Man Strength" that I was trying to describe earlier jumps out of that video.  There have been way too many things that were hard in my dad's life that he overcame to just let go of that tire when it got heavy.  Make no mistake about it,  that was one helluva struggle!

Now, let us finally clear up a major detail about this story.  The tire most definitely does NOT weigh 450 lbs.  It weighs 776 lbs.  After his triumph my dad was determined to figure out exactly how much the tire weighed.  A shot in the dark guess is how we arrived at 450.  He took the model number and make of the tire and printed out the results.  Our tire was one "heavy, expensive bastard."  It's weight was 776 lbs and the price of it brand new was $3,500! Had my dad known beforehand exactly how heavy the tire was he would have never tried it in the first place.  

How powerful is our mind?  

My dad's mind was made up in my living room on Super Bowl Sunday that he could flip the tire.  That's all it took.  My dad goes to the gym on occasion (wish it were a little more).  He cannot bench press 200 lbs and he definitely wont even attempt to squat or dead lift more than 135!  He knew that he could flip the tire and he did it.  Plain and simple.

There have been a few people who have flipped this tire and many more who have gotten stoned cold by it.  Some of the guys that have been successful are not as "strong" in lower body strength or upper body strength as some of the people who've had NO success flipping the tire.  The kids that do it are the kids that know they can do it.  They walk up with confidence and explode into the tire without thinking about it.  "There are those that do and those that don't." 

While training you can learn a whole lot about somebody from something as simple as flipping a tire.  You see qualities in men that seem as if they are pouring right out of their skin.  Attitude, desire, determination, and in my dad's case; resilience.  I have great respect for people that are able to overcome obstacles in life.  Sometimes its the strength we have learned from experiences outside the gym that help us most inside of it.  Some guys get it.  Some guys don't.  Life is not about flipping tires but it's about never quitting.  I've learned way too many things to mention from my dad and this was just another reminder that he is still king! 

Tire Hall of Fame:
Mitch Bingham (Alta)
Nik Wolford (Alta)
Landon Fisher (Riverton)
Zane Smith (Brighton)
Zach Miller (Jordan)
Rob Gueck
Sr. John Madsen
Yours Truly 

Come give it a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment